quarta-feira, 30 de abril de 2008

Jean - Luc II

The next day at Cannes: Godard met the press, a much-depleted group from the screening. When the French moderator started the occasion by noting, "An Anglo-Saxon critic once said, 'In Godard, there is God,'" the iconoclastic filmmaker shook his head in exasperation, and lit a cigar. And braved himself for the first question from a journalist: "Why do you never allude to e-mail or the internet?"

"You mean talk about e-mail in my films?" Godard inquired back. "I'm not the right person to ask that question. I still have my very old typewriter. I bought 12 models of that typewriter which will take me to the end of my life. Typewriters were invented for blind people, so that's exactly what I need. As for the internet, I can't give you an answer. I don't use it."

On attacking Spielberg in this movie for appropriating Holocaust history: "I've never met him, I don't know him, I'm not so fond of his films, and at the time I was critical of him when he reconstructed Auschwitz [for Schindler's List.] As an artist and auteur, I felt it my duty to point a finger at him."

On why he doesn't like Spielberg films: "That would take too long to explain. I no longer enjoy making comments in my work about films from the past. Show me a film in a screening room, then I'll make comments."

Sem comentários: